Elvis enrolled at L.C. Humes High School in late 1949. Mrs. Billy Arnold was the registar at the school at the time. The school was originally called the North Side High School. It was renamed in honor of Laurence Carl Humes, President of the Memphis Board of Education from 1918 to 1925.
When Elvis enrolled there it was an all-white school with a student body of 1,600. The three story, red brick building is located at 659 North Manassas Street.
Thomas C. Brindley was the principal at the school when Elvis was there. He lived at 1505 S. Wellington with his wife, Ella. Eleanor Richmond was the assistant principal, she lived at 1780 Forrest._,___