Sam Phillips was a studio engineer living at 1928 Vinton Avenue with his wife, Betsy when he opened the Memphis recording Service in 1950. The studio was located at 706 Union Avenue and the telephone number was 5277197.
His partner was Jim Bulleit. Jim put up half the money. Sam paid $150.00 a month in rent for the building, that was originally a car radiator shop called Automobile Row. Sam and his secretary, Marion Keisker, remodled the interior of the building themselves, installing acoustic tiles on the ceiling and walls.